New York Traffic Attorney
Traffic Ticket Lawyer in New York
Traffic tickets are backed up by the credibility of law enforcement, so it would be your word against the cop’s.
What will happen if one is convicted of a traffic ticket in New York?
You can expect a fine from the court, a surcharge, points on your driver’s license, and possibly an additional fine from the DMV, along with a temporary license suspension.
DMV Driving Points
If you accumulate 11 points for traffic convictions in an 18-month period, the New York Department of Motor Vehicles may suspend or revoke your license. (The 18 months count from day of violation, how long you push it off, until you are convicted makes no difference.) A new law under the State of NYS Driver Improvement (of dmv) now keeps traffic convictions on your record for up to 25 years, to see if you are a safe driver. This law in already in affect, and is retroactive. To see the full DMV list of rules and regulations see here.
How many points does one get for a traffic ticket in New York? It depends on what the ticket is for.
Speeding ( more information about speeding tickets )
- 1-10 MPH over posted limit: 3 points
- 11-20 MPH over posted limit: 4 points
- 21-30 MPH over posted limit: 6 points
- 31-40 MPH over posted limit: 8 points
- more than 40 MPH over: 11 points
Other Traffic Offenses
- Failing to stop for a school bus: 5 points
- Reckless driving: 5 points (Warning, this is a criminal charge/misdemeanor)
- Talking on a cell phone, use of a handheld mobile device or texting): 5 points (more information about cellphone tickets)
- Following too closely (tailgating): 4 points
- Inadequate brakes: 4 points
- Failing to yield right-of-way: 3 points
- Violation involving a traffic signal, red light, stop sign, or yield sign: 3 points (more information about red light tickets)
- Improper passing, unsafe lane change, : 3 points
- Driving left of center, or driving wrong direction : 3 points
- Leaving the scene of an incident involving property damage or injury to a domestic animal: 3 points
- Safety restraint violation involving a person under 16: 3 points
- Most other moving violation: 2 points
If you get convicted of a combination of 3 speeds and/or driving related misdemeanors, or 11 points within 18 months, your license gets suspended.
Your license will only be restored if you do not have too many safety factors. Safety factors are a complex system the Driver Improvement Board uses to see if you are a safe driver.
Aside for what the government does, insurance companies check your DMV driving record for points when they renew your policy, and can increase your rates for 36 months!!!
More information about moving violation Authority and Jurisdiction in New York State.
Contact The Lawyer Zev Goldstein
Our law firm and New York traffic ticket lawyers can represent you in court anywhere in New York State and fight or negotiate your traffic violation, which will save you from paying fines, car insurance increases and losing your license. A lawyer often costs you less in the short run, and almost always in the long run. In most cases we can go to court for you, so you don’t have to come to court. Call 845-371-8457 today, and find out if you can save your money, your license and your good name.